Whether you are a startup or a large corporation, you may come to a point when you need a reliable technical partner, who can back you up with relevant technical expertise, while letting you focus on core business needs and vision.
Of course, for every company, the right technical partner will be different. Still, from 5+ years of Rococo consultant’s experience serving our clients on different kinds of projects, there are crucial points and set of questions you’ll never go wrong with.
Let’s see what goes into each point and which essential matters should be thought through before the final decision!
- Communication Is a Key Ingredient
Open communication plays a vital role in any partnership. And this is something you should consider starting from the first intro or discovery call with a company.
Think about the following questions:
- Do they communicate clearly?
- Do they ask questions to understand the specifics of your business and the challenges you are trying to solve?
- Do they listen and understand your priorities?
- Are they open about potential risks?
- Do they respond promptly to your emails when the call is finished?
This point seems to be simple and obvious. But we would like to highlight it as very few companies are actually able to ensure that level of communication and honesty. And since trust is key – this point becomes crucial and defines the success of your relations.
- Consider the Difference Between Knowledge and Expertise
Any full-service development company should have the expertise in the relevant technology stack that covers your branch. But what differs the right development team from just a good one?
It’s the ability to guide you all the way through, consult and suggest innovative solutions that would work specifically for your business needs.
Therefore, certain questions should be raised beforehand:
- Do they explain why certain technology is better for your project?
- Do they think out of the box?
- Do they understand that every project is unique and requires a custom approach?
- What challenges did they solve in their past projects?
- Are they creative and flexible when it comes to problem-solving?
It’s no longer enough to just write readable code. The real expertise is when the company has experience and competence to find a solution that fits your strategy and leads to a successful outcome.
- Considering the Price
You don’t want to get the cheapest service, but definitely the most cost-effective one.
Don’t let the price be the only defining aspect. What looks like a “better deal” at first can actually make you pay 2-3x times more. What if your product doesn’t work and you need to rewrite it from scratch?
Make sure the company offers value and it is worth the cost. In the long-run, you want to have a partner who will help you return your investments, not only save those.
Hence think about the following:
- Do they provide value?
- Do they give clear and easy-to-understand estimations?
- Do they suggest options to optimize the resources?
So even if you get the numbers that seem to be higher than your initial expectations, but the company inspires confidence in the result and offers a reasonable working model – we would recommend not making price a priority. It’s only one component in the whole puzzle.
- Own a Transparent Working Process
Make sure the working process is well-defined, clear and allows you to track the progress throughout the whole development cycle.
The company that knows what they do will provide you with a detailed working plan for your project and describe every stage of the development. Moreover, they will constantly update you on the progress and will give you access to a task-tracking system and other project management tools, so you can easily follow the sprints and provide your feedback.
Find out about the company operating:
- Do they have a clear working process?
- Do they provide you with the tools you can follow the progress and control the development process?
- Are they open to adjusting their process to your specific needs?
As a client – don’t be afraid to ask questions and provide honest feedback, even if it’s not always a positive one. It will help both sides to make improvements in the process so it’s even more effective.
- Commitment to Client’s Success
Software projects can encounter anticipated issues due to fast-moving technologies. The right technology partner will never hide problems, but rather be open about it and act proactively, suggesting ways to overcome those.
Some crucial issues to raise:
- Do they try to understand your long-term goals and priorities?
- Do they develop the product the way that it’s scalable?
- Do they support you not only during the development process, but also when the product is ready?
A client-oriented partner will ensure that you get the technology solution that works for your specific business needs and supports not only your immediate goals but your future goals as well.
- Testimonials and References
Even if your potential technical partner leaves you with zero doubts and meets all the points listed above – real feedback from their clients might be helpful and give you a better picture of what to expect.
Be sure to check references:
Search through special platforms meant to show clients reviews on the most known development firms.
Moreover, they often create lists of the best development companies within certain regions and areas of expertise.